The Best White Chicken Chili
We’re 4 days into September, which means fall is right around the corner! I promised myself I wouldn’t get too crazy about fall recipes right away, but I just can’t help myself! At least it isn’t pumpkin spice, right?
There’s just something about autumn that makes you want to wrap yourself in a cozy blanket, snuggle up next to your loved ones, and eat something warm! Crockpot season is officially here (despite the fact that I live in Florida).
Today, I was just craving a big bowl of comfort food! So, I headed to the kitchen to see what ingredients I had. This meal was Billy (boyfriend) approved, and I’m so full I can barely type up the recipe without falling asleep, so I hope you all enjoy it!
- 4 cups of vegetable broth (or chicken)
- 2-3 large chicken breasts or 5-6 chicken tenders (thawed)
- 4 cups of great northern beans or 2 cans (I prefer to make mine home-made)
- 2 cans of green chilies
- 1 yellow onion thinly diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 TSP cumin
- 1 TSP cayenne pepper
- 1 TSP basil
- 1/2 TSP salt
- 1/2 TSP pepper
- Lime (really good if you squeeze some of the juice into the chili
- A dollop of sour cream OR Greek yogurt
- 1/4 an avocado
- A few slices of jalapeno
- Place chicken at bottom of crock pot.
- Pour vegetable broth over chicken.
- Add in green chilies, onion, cilantro, beans and seasonings
- Cook 2-4 hours on high heat, or 4-6 hours on low heat.
- Remove chicken, let cool and shred it.
- Take about 2 cups of beans & blend in a food processor to thicken up the chili.
- Add shredded chicken back in and mix everything together!
- Fill up a bowl of your delicious chili, add toppings, and enjoy!
Let me know if you decide to give this recipe a try! What’s your favorite crock-pot recipe?
Related: The Best Lentil Soup