Eating healthy is boring if you’re not experimenting, let’s be real. We can only stand to eat chicken and salads for so long before we lose our minds.
One of my passions is taking my favorite foods and making them indulgent and healthy! If you’re anything like my boyfriend, you need your veggies to be sneaky! (Or loaded with cheese!)
Well, I experimented and finally created it – Pizza Casserole!
My boyfriend says it’s his FAVORITE meal I’ve ever cooked, so obviously it’s pretty amazing. You know it’s real when you get the man stamp of approval!
What you’ll need:
- 2 cans of tomatoes or 2-3 cups freshly diced
- 2 cups of veggies (I chose cauliflower, broccoli, and peppers)
- 1 onion
- 1lb ground turkey (or lean ground beef)
- Turkey pepperoni
- Cooked turkey bacon (seeing a trend here?)
- Mozzarella cheese
- 4tsp olive oil
- Salt, pepper, and Italian seasonings to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rinse and drain tomatoes, set on paper towel to blot excess water. Then, place them in your casserole dish or 9×13 pan.
- Sautee garlic and onion in olive oil. Add ground turkey and cook until a medium brown color. Season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasonings. (I used about 1tbsp italian seasoning, and 2tsp of salt and 2tsp pepper.
- Remove ground turkey mixture, and roast veggies in pan for about 5 minutes, depending on your preference.
- Place ground turkey mixture on top of tomatoes. Place roasted veggies on top of ground turkey mixture. Add a layer of cooked turkey bacon.
- Spread out 1 small bag of mozzarella cheese over the bacon.
- Add turkey pepperoni to top of cheese
- Cook 25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown. Serve hot, but don’t burn your mouth because you’re too excited to eat this delicousness! 😉
Is this a recipe you think you’ll try? Leave a comment below and tell me what you think!